|Eye Color||Violet (Black in Novels)|
|Other Names||Medusa |
Pallas Athena (Divine Ancestor name)
|Equipment||Jet Black Scythe |
Shield of Aegis
Serpent's Evil Eyes
|Rank||God (Former) |
Athena is a Heretic God in the series Campione.
Without the full extent of her powers, Athena looks like a cute girl in her early teens with short silver hair and violet eyes (described as being black as the night in the novels), dressed in a school uniform with a knit cap on her head.
She is also described as a very beautiful and attractive goddess when she is in her adult form.
After reclaiming her Gorgoneion, Athena seemingly ages to her early twenties, and her clothing transforms into a Grecian toga, and she wears a crown of flowers on her head. She has long silver hair and violet eyes.
During Volume 9, Athena's possible true form is revealed. In this form, she possesses the upper body of her usual child-like form, while her lower body is a large snake, roughly ten meters long, with silver-white scales.
Athena has a very cold personality, with no interest in anything but reclaiming her lost power. Since her defeat, however, Athena has taken an interest in Godou Kusanagi, seemingly not sure if he's a true enemy of hers or not.
Athena was originally a Mother Earth Goddess originating in Africa and suggested to have been the queen of the gods of her pantheon. She was a goddess of darkness, snakes, owls, the earth, sky, life, death, and wisdom. Eventually, she was overthrown by the male gods, led by Zeus. Under one of her names, Athena, she was demoted to being Zeus's daughter, by another, Medusa, she was turned into a snake monster who turned those who gazed upon her to stone.
"You are a goddess who has always had strong ties to snakes. Both Athena and Medusa are snake goddesses, both sharing the same origin, and both bearing the avatar of the frightening Snake, and the ancient Mother Earth. The goddess who controls the bounty of the earth was not always so compassionate. When winter came, she took the life born of spring. Withering crops, and causing natural disasters on a whim. She was also the goddess of life and death. God of Death, Athena, also manifests herself as the owl, crossing between night, and the Underworld. Ruled over death and darkness. Serpent of Mother Earth, Bird of the God of Death, and Womanly Wisdom. I understand now that this trinity is the oldest form of your divinity. You were once the queen, the winged serpent. You're not the daughter of Zeus, you never were. You were the Queen of the Gods. That was your rightful place, wasn't it? As the goddess of life and death, and the great goddess of wisdom. But then came the rebellion against the queen. All of the male gods revolted, and together, they overthrew the Queen. Then ultimately Zeus became King of the Gods. The myth was rewritten, and the old queen, Athena, became the king's daughter. And Medusa was reduced to a monster. Thus, the queen of wisdom, the winged serpent, lost her Snake form, becoming merely a beautiful goddess. A beautiful, but tragically empty vessel. And the Snake, your true form as Mother Earth, was eventually mentioned in tales as a different creature. The winged serpent... in other words, the dragon. The evil dragon the hero defeats in myth is actually none other than the degraded form of the defeated goddess of Mother Earth. Your own tragic story. A fallen Queen. And that, Athena, is who you are!." -Godou's knowledge of Athena, spoken during their battle.
Light Novel (Spoiler)Edit
- In the beginning of Volume 1, Athena was first seen trying to talk to Godou, asking if he is the god-slayer, holding the highest level of skill in wielding the sword (probably mistaken as Salvatore Doni) after knowing that he does not hold the Gorgoneion, she tried to get into a fight with Godou, but Godou refused her. Following the Gorgoneion, she met Godou once again in Japan, and she defeated Godou by sealing his lips, then using the curse of [Death].
- After defeating Godou, she had her doubts whether Godou died, trying to kill him, Erica protected Godou then fled from the battlefield. She engulfed half of Tokyo in darkness while trying to locate the Gorgoneion, finally followed the Gorgoneion and reclaiming it, she transformed into her true form. She placed the curse of [Death] on Yuri, Yuri called Godou for the sake of defeating Athena.
- Athena's legends were revealed by Godou, Athena enraged, told him his trump card, the [White Stallion]. After forcing Kusanagi Godou to use his authority, Athena used the Shield of Aegis, trying to defend against the White Stallion's flame, was pierced by Erica's spear infused with the magic, bearing the same power as the Longinus, and defeated. Trying to ask Godou why he did not kill her, Godou simply said that he will drive Athena out of Japan, not kill her. Athena, taking interest in Godou's actions fled the battlefield.
- Athena was mentioned as the one who fought Kusanagi Godou in a draw.
- Athena did not make any appearance in the volume, due to the volume being a flashback story.
- Continuing from the volume 2, Athena sensed that there will be a big battle. She went to Godou's location, talking to him that there will be a big battle sooner or later, Athena decided to train Godou. Forcing him to tag along her, left Sardinia, they went to Naples. After seeing the flying dragon, they followed its trail, finally meeting the Greek hero Perseus. Perseus tried to kill the dragon but was stopped by Athena. after the dragon was absorbed by Athena, she placed Godou in her stead to fight Perseus, after seeing Godou and Perseus going to the stage of the fight, Athena decided to watch the fight and saw Kusanagi Godou dead, Perseus (having doubts) tried to point his arrow on Godou, but was stopped by Athena, saying that the god-slayer is her prey. After talking to Perseus, forcing him to leave, Athena told Liliana to take care of Godou.
- Seeing Godou having no chance to win, she decided to lend a hand (for a price). Godou's group refused her and left. Coming back with only Liliana, Athena wondered why she is not with the god-slayer, mentioning some words related to Perseus, Liliana was granted a Spirit Vision about Perseus. Just as Athena was planning to punish Liliana, Godou suddenly appeared. Godou won the trade against Athena and she said words related to Perseus, Liliana suddenly received another Spirit Vision. After seeing Kusanagi Godou and Liliana Kranjcar leaving, she decided to watch the battle.
- After seeing Godou win the fight, but full of bruises, she decided to heal him, saying to Liliana that it is only a fact to give the hero a reward after defeating the enemy. Saying words of revenge and farewell, she finally left.
- Athena was only mentioned in the volume.
Volume 07: Edit
- Athena was only mentioned in the volume.
- Athena did not make an appearance in the volume.
- The first appearance of Athena in this volume is her fight against Guinevere and Lancelot somewhere in the Southern East Europe where Guinevere was discovered by Athena while digging some dragon bones for creating a divine artifact with the same power as the [Divine Sword of Salvation]. During the fight, Athena was tricked and the Holy Grail was placed inside her body. Knowing the Holy Grail was depleting her life force, Athena fled and went to Japan to fight Kusanagi Godou before her life is lost.
- Athena, going to Japan to fight Kusanagi Godou, wished for a duel, declaring that she will not take a "no" as an answer, left and prepared for her fight.
- Athena, knowing that Godou will not fight her, she decided to turn the landscape into stone, even turning roads, plants, birds, humans, and even the sea into cold stones, not breathing a life, not even moving. After turning many places into stones, Kusanagi Godou decided to appear to stop her from creating a greater damage in the place. Beginning her fight against the god-slaying king, she unleashed her ability to turn everything into stone, after placing the curse everywhere, even Kusanagi Godou's companions were turned into stone with the exception of Seishuuin Ena after being lent the divine sword [Ama no Murakumo no Tsurugi]. She engaged Kusanagi Godou, but she started to lose due to the Holy Grail activating its power with Godou's [Sword] infused with the spell words of the Holy Grail. She praised Godou for targeting her weakness, but Godou declared that he will stop fighting her. They were interrupted by Lancelot du Lac's arrival. While trying to escape from the knight, Athena tried to defend from Lancelot's attacks by using the [Shield of Aegis], seeing Athena was in a disadvantage, Godou tried to help her from escaping and surviving. Athena brought a mirror, trying to use her own ability to curse herself, she turned herself into stone, going into a temporary near-death state. They were able to escape on Lancelot's attacks after he fled.
- After being released from her own curse, she praised Godou for temporarily stopping an indestructible divine artifact, halting its effects. After going into a deal with Kusanagi Godou, she decided to release her curse in the area, therefore turning things back to what they were before. Lancelot joins the fray, Godou asked Athena to fight together against Lancelot, Athena agreed to fight the Knight, Athena was almost able to defeat Lancelot using her [Death], was deflected by Lancelot. Kusanagi Godou, noticing the obsidian infused with [Death], he throws the obsidian to Lancelot, that resulted in his weakening. Lancelot retreated with Erica's words, leaving a few words of challenge and farewell.
- After fighting against Lancelot, she decided to have a death match against Godou. Blocking Godou's authority, the [White Stallion], she decided to land the final blow on Godou, but was unable to. She said that her time was up, leaving Godou a few words and knowledge on secret arts that contain Athena's wisdom.
- Athena was mentioned in the volume as the one who supplied the Holy Grail's magic force.
- She also looked like the Divine Ancestor created from the Holy Grail. Described as a girl holding a pubescent body with white-grey hair and luscious black eyes, saying that her fate was to duel against a strong opponent in the Far East.
- She was not mentioned in this volume.
- Athena was mentioned as the one who gave the wisdom to Kusanagi Godou for unleashing his black sword with the power to destroy a large island.
- It is revealed that Athena was resurrected as a Divine Ancestor, and the new Witch Queen of Divine Ancestors with the name Pallas Athena.
Volume 17: Edit
Athena draws Godou into battle, and transforms into her goddess self as Medusa. She then summons the Wind King, and directs him to take the other three gods resurrected by the Arrowhead Discus, and awaken the King of the End. As the two fight, she reveals her plans to fight against the King of the End, even as a Divine Ancestor. She then goes to meet with the King of the End, and unleashes her Medusa self, but is quickly defeated, only to be saved by Godou.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
Another Authority, and likely attributed to her aspect as a goddess of wisdom, is a clairvoyant-like ability resembling, but surpassing, the Hime-Miko's Spirit Vision. This ability allows her to find information that she seeks by tapping into the Memories of the Void within the Netherworld.
As a goddess of death, Athena can snuff out a person's life-force with magic. However, it is unknown if this is an authority, or a mortal spell.
Athena is also able to cast a variety of spells, including a one to hide her presence from normal people.
Even without her Gorgoneion, Athena can use her divine clairvoyance, float in any direction, and seemingly appear out of nowhere. She also claims to be able to manipulate the earth enough to awaken a dormant volcano.
Athena has enhanced physical abilities, allowing her to cover massive amounts of distance, even while walking slowly.
Athena could also manifest two powers at the same time, by utilizing two of her aspects. This not only allowed her to perform two attacks, but also made it impossible for Godou's golden sword to affect both of them.
Since her death and reincarnation as a Divine Ancestor, Pallas Athena, she has lost much of her power. She can still wield witchcraft, in the manner of other Divine Ancestors, including the power to assume the form of a bird (and owl). Also, as a Divine Ancestor, she can temporarily reclaim her divine powers, by sacrificing much of her life force. This allows her to return to the form of Medusa.
- Athena has the most appearances of any Heretic God in the series.
- It is hinted that Verethragna stole Athena's Gorgoneion, which eventually passed into the hands of the Copper-Black Cross Knights, and it was eventually passed to Godou after he defeated Verethragna.
- Athena was the first goddess to kiss Godou.
- In the light novel, Athena's adult form has pointy ears, while in the anime, her adult form has normal ears.
- Just before her death, Athena gave Godou a piece of wisdom that allowed him to create the secret art of the Black Sword of The Beginning and The End.
- It is unknown if this piece of information was the entirety of what she gave, or if there's more to it.
- Athena was killed by her power being stolen by the Holy Grail.
- Also, it is heavily implied that she has been reborn as a Divine Ancestor. (Vol 10 and 15)
- This was confirmed in Volume 16.
- Her reincarnation is Pallas Athena.
- Pallas Athena seems to be a merger of both the Holy Grail, and Athena's Divine Ancestor reincarnation.
|God of Steel||Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi • King Who Manifests at the World's End • Perseus/Mithras • Lancelot du Lac • Verethragna • Susanoo • Sun Wukong • Vaisravana • Zhu Ganglie • Erlang|
|God of Earth||Athena • Artio • Guinevere • Leviathan • Metis • Pandora|
|God of Unknown Nature||Melqart|