When a mortal slays a Heretic God, they take upon themselves the Authorities of that Heretic God, becoming something more than human, a Rakshasa Raja, a devil king, a supreme lord, a King; a Campione.
Generally, a Campione will only acquire one Authority from the god they slay, which is influenced by the personality, compatibility, and skill of the Campione. Though there are rare exceptions such as the seventh Campione, Godou Kusanagi. The Authority then adjusts to fit the Campione's own nature. Often losing elements or gaining limitations or requirements for use that the god didn't have.
Campione, because of their divine Authorities, are automatically designated the rulers of what ever area they call home. In that area, among the supernatural, their word is law. Only another Campione dares contradict them.
Campione are called the 'Bastard/Illegitimate Children of Epimetheus,' Titan of hindsight, because only someone who, like Epimetheus, acts without thinking of the consequences, would face a Heretic God rather than run away.
In Volume 4, it is revealed that Pandora controls the distrubution of Authorities in some method, and that if a Campione slays a Heretic God who has been weakened in some fashion by another, or in some other fashion that she does not approve of, such as a Campione in perfect health coming across an injured Heretic God and slaying them, then she will not allow the Campione to gain a new Authority from it.
It is also possible that ganging up on a Heretic God will not gain one a new Authority, as when facing the Heretic God Sun Wukong, and his two subordinate gods, the group of Godou, John Pluto Smith, and Luo Hao apparently did not gain any new Authorities.
- Sasha Dejanstahl Voban
- Luo Hao
- Madam Aisha
- Black Prince Alec
- John Pluto Smith
- Lord Salvatore Doni [6th Campione]
- Godou Kusanagi [7th Campione]
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
The specific abilities of each Campione are dependent upon the particular Authorities of the Heretic Gods that they have slain, adapted to fit the Campione's personal qualities. However, all Campione appear to have certain powers in common.
- Enhanced Longevity (oldest Campione stated to be centuries old)
- Enhanced Spiritual Senses
- Can sense magic within objects
- Magic Resistance (only vulnerable to Authorities or magics inserted into their bodies.)
- Authorities Theft
- Superhuman stamina/durability
- Nearly unbreakable bones
- Healed to full health, and old injuries repaired during the transformation into a Campione.
- Ability to understand all languages.
- Reserves of Magic energy (aka ki/chi/qi) hundreds of times that of a trained mage
- Advanced night vision, comparable to a nocturnal predator.
There are also suggestions of minor increases to strength, though not to the superhuman levels granted by Authorities.
It is suggested that Campione, and even those who have the potential to 'become' Campione, have the ability to create good luck, or command random chance, through force of will. In games of pure chance, it is almost impossible to beat them without cheating. This ability may even be what allows them to kill gods and become Campione.
Many experienced Campione develop a skill called Manifesting an Avatar. This allows the Campione to transform their body in some fashion so as to remove a flaw in, or make better use of, one of their Authorities.
- "Keep this in mind, between [Kings] like us, there can only exist one of the following relationships -- ignoring each other, pacts of nonaggression, or eternal enemies dueling to the very end. And now, you will be my enemy!" - Quote: From Sasha Dejanstahl Voban toward Godou Kusanagi [Novel: Vol2, Ch7]
- Campione's magic resistance is much weaker against internal magics, such as potions or spells delivered through kisses. Though they can still fight them off through use of an Authority, or through raw magical power.
- Otherwise, it requires an Authority to break through their resistance. Even a normal spell backed by the magical power of a Campione will not do so.
- Even an Authorities power and effectiveness will be reduced if used against a Campione.
- Some priestly curses can apparently get around this immunity to magic
- If a Campione makes a pact with a god, the pact will force the Campione to follow through with their side of the bargain.
- Regardless of gender, all Campione are called [King].
- Which should be noted as three of the seven Campione are women.
- Campione's powers are not hereditary, but being a descendant offers substantial influence in the wizardry world. In fact, European magic associations were commonly led by, or even founded by those hailing from the lineage of kings.
- Taking the Copper Black Cross as an example, ten-odd generations ago, their commander-in-chief was a king's illegitimate child. He was treated like royalty, and in fact, members of the Blandelli family, like Erica, are his descendants.
- When one becomes a Campione, physical flaws such as old injuries, and possibly scars, are healed and restored to full health.